Gabriel Pozzo won the Rally de Catamarca this past weekend, the fourth round of the Argentine Rally Championship, and led the one-two for the Scuderia Fiat team with Claudio Menzi finishing in the second position.
This was the second victory for the Fiat Palio Maxi Rally car after Menzi’s success in the opening round in Córdoba, and the first time for Pozzo receiving the traditional poncho, a typical costume from the North of Argentina that are awarded to the winners of this event.
Also, Menzi’s second position enabled the driver from Córdoba to regain the lead in the Championship, after he took advantage of a disastrous weekend for Federico Villagra (Ford) who couldn’t claim the victory for the eighth time in this event.
“Coyote” went off the road in the last stage of the Saturday leg when he was leading the competition by 8s over Menzi and 10.3s over Pozzo, who ended up winning the first leg after an impressive pace in the last kilometres of the day.
Miguel Baldoni (Volskwagen), who finished third on Saturday, was at the verge of snatching the second place from Menzi. The Baratec driver shaved off the 19s gap and was just seven tenths behind him when he made a spin in the penultimate stage. At the end, Baldoni hung on in a podium position by just five tenths against Juan Gil De Marchi (Chevrolet).
The next round will take place in three weeks’ time in the province of San Luis, home of Baldoni, who has claimed the victory in this event in every opportunity he has raced it.
Rally de Catamarca – Final Classification
01) G. Pozzo-D. Stillo (Fiat) 1h 18m 54.6s
02) C. Menzi-D. Cagnotti (Fiat) +19.8s
03) M. Baldoni-G. Franchello (Volkswagen) +44.2
04) J. G. De Marchi-M. Albornoz (Chevrolet) +44.7s
05) R. Martínez-J. Montero (Fiat) +2m 11.2s
06) A. Marchetto-M. Bazán (Mitsubishi) +2m 51.4s
07) J. C. Alonso-P. Monasterolo (Mitsubishi) +3m 26.1s
08) S. Abramian-F. Mussano (Volkswagen) +4m 32s
09) F. Villagra-J. Pérez Companc (Ford) +5m 07.4s
10) J. Gómez-R. Dell’Oso (Subaru) +5m 26.5s